Drill with Cassandra
Add Reply
Sandeep Dixit
2017-06-05 16:31:07 UTC
I am not finding any Cassandra specific documentation - how to configure,
etc. - in the documentation site. Does Drill fully support Cassandra? If
yes - which version? I am migrating my group chat app to Cassandra and was
not sure how to proceed 1) replace all joins with multiple simple table
queries and then compose object graphs in middle-tier or 2) use Drill and
reuse existing queries. My complex queries include EXISTS, JOIN, AND/OR etc
clauses. Has anyone used Drill in similar scenario and can provide me some
pointers? Also this is not for analytical purpose - this would be for
user-centric app.

--

Thanks,
Sandeep
Abhishek Girish
2017-06-05 16:55:54 UTC
Currently Drill does not support Cassandra as a datasource. There was some
previous work on a cassandra plugin [1], but I do not think that's been
completed.

You are welcome to contribute towards a Cassandra plugin.

[1] https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/DRILL-92
Sandeep
Sandeep Dixit
2017-06-06 16:49:30 UTC
Does this just require update to the existing code or implement
additional/missing functionality as well? I am particularly interested in
EXISTS/NOT EXISTS etc implementation. Also how does this project
differentiate from Presto which seem to have Cassandra adapter?

--

Thanks,
Sandeep
Sandeep
Abhishek Girish
2017-06-12 05:33:42 UTC
The code isn't complete afaik. It might require more work than just
implementing the functionality you are interested in. You can begin by
taking a look at what's already there (refer to Patches / PRs on the JIRA)
and then asking specific questions if you get stuck at any point. I'm
certain someone in the community will offer to help.

Regarding how Drill and Presto compare, you can refer to [1]. Also, there
are a few threads in the User archives which discusses this as well. If you
have any specific questions, feel free to send an email to the list.

[1] https://www.quora.com/How-does-Apache-Drill-compare-to-Facebooks-Presto