Drill Summit/Conference Proposal
Charles Givre
2017-06-14 12:55:50 UTC
Hello fellow Drill users and developers,
I've been involved with the Drill community for some time, and I was
thinking that it might be time to start exploring the idea of a Drill
Summit or Conference. If you're interested, please send me a note and I'll
start having some conversations about what's next.

Personally, I think it could be extremely valuable to get Drill developers
and users together and share ideas about where things are and how people
are using Drill.
Thanks!!
-- C
Bob Rudis
2017-06-14 15:27:24 UTC
I grok this is the Drill list and I'm also a big user of Drill (and
have made some UDFs) but there might be some efficacy in expanding the
scope to the Presto and Redshift Spectrum communities. I'm not
claiming there's 100% equivalence, but the broader view of being able
to access multiple types of data sources from a central platform is
compelling and -- at least in my circles -- not widely known. It could
be an event with a a primary central track but three separate
specializations that have a couple intraday time pockets.
-- C
Charles Givre
2017-06-14 16:18:25 UTC
Hi Bob,
Good to hear from you. I agree that there could be value in having a joint
Presto/Drill/Redshift conference, but how would you describe the overall
theme?

In essence (not looking to start a flame war here...) these tools are
similar in terms of what the user experiences and I can definitely see
value in bringing the communities together. I also like the idea of
multiple tracks. I was thinking of having something like developer/analyst
tracks.
-- C
-- C
Julian Hyde
2017-06-14 18:32:38 UTC
I like the idea of co-hosting a conference. ApacheCon in particular is a good venue, and they explicitly encourage sub-conferences (there are “Big Data” and “IoT” tracks, and this year there were sub-conferences for Tomcat and CloudStack). DrillCon was part of ApacheCon, people could attend a whole day of Drill talks, or they they could go to talks about other Apache projects in the larger conference, and connect with Apache members.

Also, the conference is professionally organized, at a large hotel with good facilities.

Unfortunately ApacheCon just happened (it was in Miami in May); but it’s something to consider next year.

Julian
-- C
Matt K
2017-06-16 16:20:55 UTC
A counter point: I would be concerned that Drill would be overshadowed by
more “popular” or more entrenched platforms.

Drill is an excellent and somewhat unique tech that needs more exposure to
grow. An event that focuses purely on Drill may have better success at that.

The caveat may be that a Drill only summit may have low turnout and thus
not succeed at the above goals, thus I’m not certain what the right choice
is, but I wanted to bring up the point for discussion.

Post by Charles Givre
Hi Bob,
Good to hear from you. I agree that there could be value in having a joint
Presto/Drill/Redshift conference, but how would you describe the overall
theme?
In essence (not looking to start a flame war here...) these tools are
similar in terms of what the user experiences and I can definitely see
value in bringing the communities together. I also like the idea of
multiple tracks. I was thinking of having something like
developer/analyst
Post by Charles Givre
tracks.
-- C
-- C
Julian Hyde

-- C
Aman Sinha
2017-06-18 02:59:28 UTC
Agree with Julian about ApacheCon being a better venue with a track (or
sub-conference ?) for Drill. The size and scale of the wider conference is
likely to be beneficial despite other competing Apache projects. Perhaps
the schedule could be managed in such a way that the conflicts with similar
projects is minimized.

-Aman
Post by Matt K
Post by Julian Hyde
Unfortunately ApacheCon just happened (it was in Miami in May); but
it’s something to consider next year.
Post by Matt K
Post by Julian Hyde
Julian
Post by Matt K
Post by Matt K
Post by Julian Hyde
Post by Charles Givre
theme?
In essence (not looking to start a flame war here...) these tools are
similar in terms of what the user experiences and I can definitely see
value in bringing the communities together. I also like the idea of
multiple tracks. I was thinking of having something like
developer/analyst
Post by Matt K
Post by Julian Hyde
Post by Charles Givre
tracks.
-- C
Post by Matt K
Post by Julian Hyde
Post by Matt K
Post by Julian Hyde
Post by Matt K
Post by Julian Hyde
Post by Charles Givre
Post by Bob Rudis
Post by Charles Givre
Summit or Conference. If you're interested, please send me a note
and
Post by Matt K
Post by Julian Hyde
Post by Charles Givre
Post by Bob Rudis
I'll
Post by Charles Givre
and users together and share ideas about where things are and how
people
Post by Matt K
Post by Julian Hyde
Post by Charles Givre
Post by Bob Rudis
Post by Charles Givre
are using Drill.
Thanks!!
-- C
Charles Givre
2017-06-18 03:03:45 UTC
I've never been but what about OsCon?

Sent from my iPhone
Post by Matt K
Post by Julian Hyde
Unfortunately ApacheCon just happened (it was in Miami in May); but
it’s something to consider next year.
Post by Matt K
Post by Julian Hyde
Julian
Post by Matt K
Post by Matt K
Post by Julian Hyde
Post by Charles Givre
theme?
In essence (not looking to start a flame war here...) these tools are
similar in terms of what the user experiences and I can definitely see
value in bringing the communities together. I also like the idea of
multiple tracks. I was thinking of having something like
developer/analyst
Post by Matt K
Post by Julian Hyde
Post by Charles Givre
tracks.
-- C
Post by Matt K
Post by Julian Hyde
Post by Matt K
Post by Julian Hyde
Post by Matt K
Post by Julian Hyde
Post by Charles Givre
Post by Bob Rudis
Post by Charles Givre
Summit or Conference. If you're interested, please send me a note
and
Post by Matt K
Post by Julian Hyde
Post by Charles Givre
Post by Bob Rudis
I'll
Post by Charles Givre
and users together and share ideas about where things are and how
people
Post by Matt K
Post by Julian Hyde
Post by Charles Givre
Post by Bob Rudis
Post by Charles Givre
are using Drill.
Thanks!!
-- C
Ted Dunning
2017-06-18 14:55:27 UTC
Post by Charles Givre
I've never been but what about OsCon?
Great option. It is bigger and better attended than ApacheCon (lately). And
they allow specialized tracks.
Charles Givre
2017-06-18 14:58:20 UTC
All,
I’d like to thank everyone for their responses and ideas for a DrillCon/Meetup/GetTogether/Whatever…. (Please don’t stop)
At this point, I’m going to contact the organizers of ApacheCon and OsCon and see if either (or both) would be willing to start a track for Drill. I’ll keep the board posted as to my progress.
Please don’t stop the conversation, I’d really like to everyone’s input and ideas. Hopefully this goes somewhere!
— C
Parth Chandra
2017-06-19 17:31:53 UTC
I'm a little late coming into this conversation, but wanted to chip in and
add my +1 to the idea of working on getting Drill more exposure. Thanks
Charles for taking this up!
Nitin Pawar