Drill embedded mode
Selvarajan Thangavel
2017-05-14 14:31:58 UTC
Hi, We have installed drill in embedded mode on our Linux server to query some of our csv files and produce json data via rest api(8047) to our web application. When I run the command "./drill-embedded" the drill service started and the rest api service is getting connected and all looks good. But once I close the drill shell or if my putty session expired then the drill service is also getting killed.. so our application losses the json data.
Is there a way to keep the drill(embedded) service running in the background all the time(like a web server)? So that we can query on port 8047 any time. Pls let me know any information regarding the same. At the moment we are in critical situation.

Thanks
Selvarajan
Kunal Khatua
2017-05-15 19:48:01 UTC
Is there a reason you want to use Drill in Embedded mode and not as a standalone server?

You can always use a screen session and start up Drill embedded mode and then detach that session.

Selvarajan
Paul Rogers
2017-05-15 20:08:05 UTC
It may be a misunderstanding of terminology.

“Embedded” means the Drill Java code running in a process other than the Drill server. The most common community example of an embedded Drill is when Drill runs inside of the Sqlline command-line app.

In fact, if you run the drill-embedded script, what actually happens is that the script launches Sqlline with an embedded Drillbit. Take a look at the script itself and this will be clear.

What you want is a single-node Drill server. You still need to run Zookeeper, but if you launch Drill using the normal script, and on do so on a single node, you will have a Drill server that processes REST and Web requests, as well as Sqlline and other SQL queries.

- Paul
Sent: Sunday, May 14, 2017 7:31:58 AM